Not sure

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM

First and foremost, thank you for contributing to Codeplex!  

My question is more centered around what the business delimma this solution proposes to resolve.  Does it provide a template solution or a mechanism for deploying a template solution?

I'm asking because I have a very nicely designed template that I'm using on a large farm with multiple site collections.  When any 'new' site is made, it - of course - inherits the old 'white' generic site template.  I need all new sites, lists, etc., to inherit this 'new' template from the main site collection, but nothing I do seems to affect this.

To resolve this business delimma, I'm looking for a template deployment application that will help me control and manage the templates on all sites and site collections, and help me ensure that any new sites inherit the new template set, instead of the old 'white' generic.

Does your application resolve for this business problem?

Thank you for your time.
Larry

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Larry - 

It sounds like what you need to do is STAPLE your feature.  Feature stapling ensures that any sub-sites will inherit that feature from the parent site.  If your branding is deployed as a Sharepoint feature, you simple need to add a stapling feature to your package, and that should fix your issue.

This project appears to provide the Visual Studio solution, as well as a "streamlined" masterpage from which to start.

I would suggest that you check out this info on feature stapling 

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. Our branding is not installed as a feature, it's a set of templates which are integrated with the hive of our deployment, and subsequent master pages are deployed seperately within each site collection.  When companies purchase template sets, they come as desparate pieces and the administrator must manually deploy these because some are used in some areas, others on other types of templates.  In short, there are far too many variables to consider when applying the package for it to be converted to a 'feature'. 

Did I understand your answer correctly - in that your solution doesn't reslove for this business problem ??

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Hi Larry,

I apologize for my delayed response.

Jumpstart Branding for SP2010 was designed to help SP developers have a place to start when creating both a general branding project (by providing simplified, commented master pages) as well as a Visual Studio solution that would assist in deployment of their branding initiative.

To answer your question or more appropriately your issue more directly, brichardson2001 provided a good idea that you want to consider, but let me modify what he suggested.

You do not want to package your branding solution (master pages, style library, etc) into a feature that get's deployed. No problem. But you do want all new sub webs to inherit your root site collection's branding, i.e. it's master page and possibly it's logo and alternate css properties. There are a few ways that you can do that, including using Power Shell. Another way would be to use feature stapling as recommend. My suggestion would be to use an event receiver because, simply put, that code is available for you in Jumpstart Branding. An Event receiver can be registered with your site collection so that any time a child site is created, a block of code is executed. In your case all you want to do is have the master page (and possibly logo and alternate css properties) set to the same as your root site collections web.

You can take one of the Jumpstart Branding solutions and remove the Style Library and MasterPageGallery Modules as well as update the feature event receiver by removing all code in the FeatureActivated and FeatureDeactivating function. Now open the ChildSiteInit.cs file found in the ChildSiteInit Event receiver. You actually should not have to do anything as this code will make sure that any new sub site will inherit the master page settings from the root site collection web. This should solve your problem. Now this feature can be installed to your farm and then activated in your site collection. All it will do is add the event receiver to your site collection to cause new sub sites to inherit branding, the feature will not "install" any of your branding, like your master page, style library assets, etc. I recommend testing this on a dev environment first and work out any bugs.

I hope this helps.